Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Magnolia Tree Refuge

Hello, I'm Brent,



This is my first entry for this new blog. Let me first say, that I have been blessed with a wonderful family that has provided me with the tools to make this possible. The theme for this blog will be photography. I am a newbie in every sense of the word. The only pictures I have taken before yesterday were with a digital camera that accompanies every low twenty-something or teenager on a fun night out. Unless you count the wind up disposable cameras from childhood!





My grandfather is a photographer. He has given me the privelege of becoming the next photographer in our family. As a graduation/Christmas present (early in May because he just couldn't wait anymore), he has given me a Nikon D5000 Digital SLR camera. Crazy, I know. It gets better... He also gave me two Nikkor lenses for my camera. One VR 55-200mm F4-5.6G and one VR 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G. The picture for today will be the first of many, many beautiful images that will be processed through this amazing equipment.





Here is my first picture. Please look, think, and if you are a photographer... please give a newbie some advice! All comments and suggestions are welcome. The picture was taken literally 15 feet outside my front door in Dallas, TX from the magnolia tree shading my house.


The full picture looks amazing on my Nikon software, but I am not sure how to post equally large and sharp photos to this blog. Hopefully I will have a further understanding of blog workings by my next post so I can post larger, sharper photos.


Thank you all for looking at my blog! I hope you enjoyed it and I will post again soon!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the wonderful gift you received. Photography is an exciting adventure for sure! I still remember the first few days with my (now gone/sold) Nikon D80.

    To post larger, you can upload the image and the blog should resize for display, but the original should be intact on Picasa. Then, when you click on the image in the blog you can see the larger version open. In edit mode you can contorl the size for bog display. I mainly use an external gallery for my photo blog (Myfotoguy), but I did upload a couple to the Picasa (blog storage space) and if I recall this is how it works.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting Brent, we can't wait to see your masterpieces, love Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent, you have made my day with your early works, photos. I look forward to the next image(s). You seem to have a good eye for composition and I am sure Emily will appreciate your help with her cookbook illustrations.
    Grandma, I, and the rest of the Steck family are looking forward to your return to Houston to begin your pactice in the woodlands.
    Love, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brent, I work with your Grandpa. He is a great friend. I also have a Nikon D5000 with the same lens. I ask Carl for his opinion on my camera before I purchased it. He recommended it and told me he was getting the camera for you as a graduation gift. He has given me some very useful tips on photography.
    We went to your grandparents house a couple of week-ends ago and took pictures in Shirley's garden. I will invite you to become my friend in facebook so that you can see some of my pictures that I took there. The flowers on my profile are from her garden.
    Enjoy your camera, we are enjoying ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very impressed, looks like you are a natural talent! Can't wait to see what's next. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete